| || |
[strike]This guide will help you complete the process to join [[GoonWaffe]][/strike].
[b]THIS GUIDE IS COMPLETELY OUT OF DATE. It is being updated. In the interim, just send an email to [u]email@example.com. [/b][/u] |+|
[strike]This guide will help you complete the process to join [[GoonWaffe]][/strike]. THIS GUIDE IS COMPLETELY OUT OF DATE. It is being updated. In the interim, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
| || |
'''If you have a valid Something Awful account''', then complete steps 1, 2, '''3.1''', 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
'''If you have a valid Something Awful account''', then complete steps 1, 2, '''3.1''', 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
Revision as of 00:11, 24 June 2018
Warning: This article is publicly viewable.
[strike]This guide will help you complete the process to join GoonWaffe[/strike]. THIS GUIDE IS COMPLETELY OUT OF DATE. It is being updated. In the interim, just send an email to email@example.com.
If you have a valid Something Awful account, then complete steps 1, 2, 3.1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
If you are being sponsored, complete steps 1, 2, 3.2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
If you have any problems during the process, note the step you were at and ask for help in the in-game channel GS_Help.
If you'd prefer out of game assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a detailed description of the problem. Please include your Goonfleet.com forums account name as well as your SomethingAwful account name and/or sponsor if applicable.
GoonWaffe is NOT a publicly recruiting corporation. We are all members of the Something Awful forums, or well-known friends of someone who is a member. To join GoonWaffe you MUST be a member of the Something Awful forums and have been an active poster for at least 3 months (this means you frequently post on SomethingAwful.com not that you just have an account). If you consider yourself a "lurker" we do not want you, go away. Your alternative is that you must have a sponsor who is a GoonWaffe member of good standing who is willing to vouch for you, meets the above requirement, and has been a member of GoonWaffe for 30 days. If you do not meet the above requirements then you can not join.
If you gave someone ISK to join GoonWaffe, then you were scammed and you're shit out of luck.
Visit the newbee registration site.
There you will find a page that looks like:
The important part is here:
Click the bit that says 'I am registering as an SA member or am being Sponsored.' If you are not doing this then GET OUT.
Who Are You?
Next, you will see this:
If you have a Something Awful account, then you should click 'I am registering with my own SA account.'
If you are being sponsored, then click 'I am being sponsored.'
IMPORTANT: READ THIS
IF YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNT AT SA, CONTINUE TO STEP 3.1.
IF YOU ARE BEING SPONSORED, SKIP AHEAD TO STEP 3.2.
Validate Your SA Account
IF YOU ARE BEING SPONSORED, SKIP TO STEP 3.2
On the next page, you will see a code that you need to add to your SA profile:
You can use the link 'edit your SA profile' to go right to the profile edit page. Once there edit your profile so that it looks like:
and save it. Then go back to the page that gave you the code, and follow the instructions by entering your SA username in the box and clicking 'Submit Query':
The next section is on how to request a sponsorship, so you can skip to Step 4.
IF YOU HAVE COMPLETED STEP 3.1, SKIP THIS STEP AND GO TO STEP 4
On the next page, you will see a form that needs a sponsorship key. Your sponsor can get it by going to the sponsoree list.
Here they will see a list of people they are sponsoring, plus a text link that will let them generate a key for you.
They can get a key by going directly to the sponsorship key generator.
Once they get that key and give it to you, you can paste it into the form and click 'Submit Query':
If your sponsor is dumb or confused, you can point them to Appendix A: How to Sponsor.
Enter Your API
Next you must go grab your API from the EvE: Online site. You can use the link to take you to the right place:
On the EvE: Online site you will have to log in to the account that has the character you want to register with GoonWaffe. You will then see the following:
You will need to copy the User ID and API Key values and paste them into the relevant boxes of the form, then click the 'Submit Query' button.
Pick Your Main Character
The next screen you see will list the characters you have on the account you just entered the API key for.
If you have one character, then obviously select that. If you have more than one character, then select the character whose name you want as your forums username:
This character's name will also be used to identify you on Jabber and other external services. When you are happy you have selected the correct name, click 'Continue.'
Verify Your Email
Next, enter the email address you want to use as your forums login. An authentication link will be sent to this address so make sure it is real and that you can remember your password and stuff like that.
Enter your email address and click 'Continue'
Make sure you do not close your browser – doing this will mean that your authentication link will not work. You also need to click the authentication link within one hour. The email containing the link will look like this:
Once you have received the link, be sure to click it in the same browser you have been using, or copy and paste it into the address bar of that browser.
You, Too, Are Gay
As long as everything has gone well, you will see this:
Now you can log into the forums, and you should immediate check out the Gooniversity subforum..
You can set up your external services password AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED AND CAN SEE THE REST OF THE FORUMS. – go to the ESA control panel when that happens. This is a manual push button and may take some time so be patient.
Don't Forget To Apply In-Game
You will need to log in and apply to join GoonWaffe.
1. Open your People & Places tab:
2. Search for the Corporation 'GoonWaffe' and Right-click → Show Info:
3. Click 'Apply to Join' at the bottom of the window to bring up the application form.
You probably don't need to add any application text. If you think you might need to, you can always ask in Little Bees.
Click 'OK' and your application will be submitted.
Now you must wait for your in-game application to be processed. While you are waiting, you can:
- Read and post in Little Bees
- Set up your ESA password
- Download a Jabber/XMPP client and Mumble.
- Did you stop posting? Never Stop Posting.
Soon enough your application will be approved, unless you screwed something up, in which case you will either be told or need to ask. If you did everything like what this guide tells you to do, though, you should be fine, so stop worrying and go post some more.
Now I Am A Space Cowboy
That's it. You should now read the Jabber and Mumble Wiki articles for details on getting connected/configured for both services.
Your application was approved, and now you are a member of GoonWaffe. Go forth and join some squads, hassle bitter vets for ISK and free ships, get started on a training plan and go tackle some ship that costs hundreds of times more than your Rifter.
Also never stop posting.
Goonspeed, we love you.
Here is a quick and easy guide to sponsoring.
Go to the sponsorship keygen page.
This page will generate a code for you to give to the player you want to sponsor:
Give this code to your sponsoree.
To view the players you have sponsored, visit the sponsoree list.
Here you will see a list of people you are sponsoring, plus a text link that will let you generate additional sponsorship keys:
Do Not Do These Things
- Have more than one forums account. If you have one that already works and attempt to make another one, you'll probably get commissared.
- Spend the first 3 months of your EVE life in TEST or PFR or some other crappy group while you wait for your SA membership to be 90 days old so you can apply to Goonwaffe. This is what terrible, obvious spies do.
- Attempt to sponsor someone into Goonwaffe when you have been in Goonwaffe for less than 30 days.
- PM or otherwise harass an Auth director about getting your character in.
- Ask an Auth director why you were rejected without reading the section below.
- Attempting to re-apply after a specific amount of time after getting rejected for having an unqualified SA account.
All issues with the auth system are to be addressed via e-mail to email@example.com. You are under no circumstances to PM the IT Director with anything auth related directly. We will make the call as to whether or not it requires their attention.
Fucked up sponsorship? Fucked up groups? Need to update your SA account? Did we fuck up and nuke your forums account by mistake in a stoned stupor? These can be fixed.
This is probably the most common one since this feature went live. Many of you have tried to use this and were not successful. If you think you need to use retvet then you need to ask yourself two questions:
- Do you have a working forums account?
- Are, or were you a member of Goonfleet/Waffe?
If the answer to both of these questions is yes, THEN DO NOT USE RETVET. IT WILL NOT WORK AND DON'T ASK WHY IT ISN'T WORKING. Instead you should be adding an alt. No, we don't care that you're adding your main. It makes no difference; it's a character, we push yes or no, end of story.
Everybody is expected to add alts into the auth system as necessary when they apply. Failure to do so will result in your app being rejected.
Why was my app rejected?
Apps are rejected for a few reasons, outlined below starting from most common to least:
- By far the most common. You fucked something up. You didn't add your API, you didn't check the box next to the character, your hambeast fingers plugged in the wrong information. Who knows exactly what it is, but more often than not you fucked something up. Go fix it before you reapply.
- Your character has a hostile or otherwise questionable corp history. If you're an existing member adding an alt this isn't usually a problem because of character sales, etc. However on more than a few occasions new members have applied on characters with very, very solid hostile corp histories.
- Your SA account wasn't accepted. Everyone knows the 3 Month/Active SA account "rule." What we would like to make clear is that this is a minimum guideline, and not a solid inflexible line in the sand. Further, the decision to approve or deny a new member based on SA account is a totally subjective decision on our part. If you apply on a 3 month 1 day old account with 170 posts and we reject you, don't point to the 3 month rule. We don't particularly like this, but its just the nature of this game. Also, this doesn't mean we are going to look at your 10 year old SA account with a billion posts and subjectively reject you because we're having a bad day, this is only for people who are on the fence such that we have to read through posting history and whatnot.
- Least common, but it does happen. We fucked up. We might miss your characters name on the alts list. Also the accept and reject buttons are really close together and shit does happen. We may or may not notice. In this event, don't panic, check that everything on your side is correct and if it is, you may then email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out if we fucked up or what.
To summarize: If your character is not on one of our lists, either the alts list or the new members list then you're getting rejected. DO NOT Simply just think you can apply and and sort it out later. Nothing drives us up a wall more than people who just apply because hey we keep track of every single person in our bazillion member corp.
If you think you fall into this category you'd better be damn well sure. Anyone claiming to be a special snowflake that isn't will be set perma-DBRB-only. Are you a supercap pilot that needs help due to your flying coffin? I can help. Do you need a character pushed for a high level alliance function such as logistics or fleet PVP? I might be able to push your character right then.
Things that are not special snowflakes:
- Your cyno alt.
- Your bot army.
I have a problem, what do?
Lastly we would like to cover what NOT to do when dealing with the auth system/directors.
- Do NOT send a PM, jabber, forums or otherwise asking to auth your guy. Do your auth app stuff, put your guy in line, and wait. You will be processed when it is processed. God help you if you do this AND you fail to do your auth app stuff.
- Do NOT send a PM, jabber, forums or otherwise GRIPING about how we haven't processed your character. If you are a new member doing this, you may find that all the sudden we are much more subjective about your SA account than we might normally be. If you're an existing member you might find that your API was involved in a horrible auth accident and it's now going to take 2 weeks for your auth go through. Tolerance for that bullshit is non-existent both in real life and internet spaceships.
- Do NOT reapply if we have rejected you and you haven't figured out why. It's irritating to find someone constantly shitting up the auth line after having rejected them 5 times for the same reason. Sometimes these are people who have been scammed, and that shit is gonna happen. What we are referring to here is existing members who don't add an API and just keep reapplying without changing anything. We rejected you for one of the reasons outlined above. Figure it out, and fix it.
- Do NOT use the newbee app if you already have a forums account. This will create you a new forums account which will draw the attention of Vio and Vyst.
- Do NOT send email@example.com an e-mail unless its actually something we need to see. We don't need to know that you've applied on some random dude. If you've done your auth stuff you'll get processed. Also part of this is DO NOT ASK WHY WE REJECTED YOU UNTIL YOU'VE READ EVERY GOD DAMN WORD OF THIS PAGE (twice) AND VERIFIED THAT YOU DID EVERYTHING CORRECTLY (twice). If we reject you, then see a PM 8 seconds later asking why, the answer is going to be because you're a mouth breathing retard who lacks the most basic of troubleshooting skills. If you've double checked everything and can't figure it out then by all means ask away. If you're actually stupid then at least you're aware of it but please try to figure it out. Nobody is asking you to do calculus.
What we cannot do for you
- We cannot delete an old account or remove old API information. Please see above about having more than one forums account.
- We cannot fix, or stick you into any special group except for Goonfleet.
- While we can unscrew any forums account to be set back to a regular member, it does strip all secondary access.
- We WILL NOT change your forums name unless you meet very specific requirements, listed here.
Still need help?
Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any e-mail should include a short, to the point description of the problem. It should also include the GF.com Forums name, SA Forums name, and the sponsor code if it applies to the situation.