Warning: This article is publicly viewable.
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back!
Welcome back. Here is what you need to know about things that have changed in eve in the past few years, non-political version, in a semi-organized timeline based on when you left.. If you are resubbing a titan or super, please talk to important people before logging in for your first time!
- Alpha Clones are the new extended trial, can fly up to t1 battleships and have a limit on skills that can be trained.
- Omega Clones are now the subscription/plex State, you gain 2x skill training and have no restrictions on skills or ships.
- Outposts and stations are being obsoleted by Citadels. Which are destructible. But your stuff stays safe. If you pay a fee. But not in wormholes! Outposts won’t go away for a while but are planned to be deleted by CCP. Outposts were removed June 5th, 2018 and converted into faction fortizars.
- Capitals radically shifted, massive carrier blobs now need support.
- Damage controls are now passive. Oh and all ships get 33% resists on hull without it. And officer and faction DCs have been added. This is obviously the most important thing. Oh, and the suitcase has a new icon.
- Module names are constantly shifting to be easier for people to understand. Compact means it fits better, Scoped means it has better range, for instance.
- Lots of tiericide, removal of unnecessary modules. ECCM is no longer race-specific (but ECM still is) and is now a script for Sensor Boosters instead of a separate module.
- Can share your overview, use someone shared overview in game. (PS, you need a new overview, use the Z-S Overview. Get it from the ingame channel of the same name)
- New hardware and can support 4k people on grid. 2k on an unreinforced node.
- Brain in the box is finally in, and allows you to dump more people into a system easily. We can still break a gate at 200 though.
- You can burn skill points on one character and apply them to another, meaning eve is pay to win skill points now. You can also now fund pvp ships by getting rid of all the terrible choices in skills you made, like mining or FC skills.
- You can now buy skill injectors to inject SP, currently at about 600m as of April Fools Day 2016. The amount of SP injected is dependent on your total SP. 500k for <5M, 400k 5M to 50M. 300k 50M to 80M, 150k 80M+
- Better graphics, better AI. There are new enemies, like drifters, that can kill carriers if aggressed. If you see a circadian seeker, ignore them. It’s a lore thing.
- Major CREST improvements can show the updates quickly. These are continuing to improve. Finally.
- New launcher allows you to do multiple clients without passwords on them. No more typing ‘dickbutte2010’ over and over.
- Permanent ship skinning has become very easy, just costs plex or isk, only buy it once. Constantly expanding too.
- Oh you get kill marks for getting final blow. But only good ships.
- Fall off on Neuts and reps, making positioning more important. Also, a super/titan webber was added called a Grappler; it only fits on battleship-sized and larger ships.
- Improvements on ECM effects on you, shows everything, including missed jams, can hover to see who.
- Command destroyers allow you to do an AOE micro jump drive of 100km where you align for any subcap, bombs, or bubbles within 6km of your ship..
- Camera improvements make it easy to see really far away. There’s even an RTS-type view that lets you zoom-to-cursor.
- Oh yeah, the base grid size has been increased from 250 km to 8,000 km. Some grids (like the Jita 4-4 CNAP undock) can be as large as 70k km. Grid-fu still works but is considerably less useful. No more broken grids.
- Sensor overlay shows you anoms, your bookmarks in space (!), and other cool things.
- Multi-buy. Multi-sell. Instantly buy a ship and all fittings with two clicks. No joke. (Only buy contracts off blues, some relist with a 100mm plate instead of 1600 mm.)
- Jump fatigue, aka aids, prevents you from going too quick across the galaxy in caps.
- First jump: 1 hour Second jump: 5 hours Third jump: 1+ day. Fourth jump: 4+ days, max at 5. Distance matters. Unless you wait till your timer is 10 minutes.  has a chart! Garpa understands it.
- Capital jump range has been nerfed to 5LY for all capitals except Jump Freighters at 10LY, Black Ops at 8 LY.
- Refining has been adjust heavily, you can no longer completely recoup. But with implants and the right station...
- Ishtars got a bit of nerfing, so they are not the only doctrine people fly anymore. (No, we don’t even see Dominixes much these days.)
- Timers in the upper left-hand corner now show when your gate cloak runs out, and when you can next use the same wormhole.
- Brackets were adjusted so you can see the difference between ships. They take a bit to learn.
- Micro jump drives fit on Battleships, Battlecruisers, and Deep Space Transports jump you 100km away in the direction you’re already traveling, if you're not hit with Scrambler or Infinipoint. This action does not break locks!
- DSTs also have hella tank and a Fleet Maintenance Hangar. You can either lol your way out of a gate camp or create a nice [[killmail] with lots of fit ships. Either way, you win!
- Nestors now allow refitting in space, becoming the anchor of a deadly ball of machariels.
- Wrecks’ HP has been significantly increased. Bigger the hull, the more HPs.
- Fighters grew in size, can only do 10 now. You cannot warp if your fighter bay is overloaded! Talk to important people before logging in supers or titans for the first time!
- Fighters changed into groups with the carrier changes. Carriers launch 3 groups of 9 fighters or support at a time, directly controlled, no longer assigned. Super Carriers launch 5 groups.
- Fozzie sov moves away from Dominion style and towards ‘entosis’ing that you have to control a certain number of points. Small gang combat etc. Alternately called “Benny Hill runabout” or “Whack-a-mole”.
- Entosis links, aka Jesus lasers, use a high slot, stront, and you can't get remote assistance. And you need to do about 8 nodes at 10-50 minutes each to ‘win’ of this entosising.
- Occupancy matters. Ratting and mining make it harder to take your space.
- A single wormhole system, Thera, got four stations. It's hella fun for nomads and is the widest system in Eve (342 AU across). No moons, no anchorable bubbles, eve-scout track where they open.
- Tech 3 Destroyers are the only ship people fly now for solo pvp. In large packs, you can't kill them.
- The Svipul does damage like a BC, tanks like a BC, locks like an inty, goes as fast as a sabre, in the size of a destroyer, and they are everywhere. Think “Dramiel” from 5 years ago, but on cocaine and amphetamines.
- CSPA charges are automatically set to 0. Cause you care.
- Camera wobble can be turned off. Lots of other camera options.
- Exploration actually gets profitable with decent cloaky ships able to solo sites and do the hacking stuff.
- Dscan on a keypress. Bookmark on a keypress. There are shortcut keys for a lot of new stuff!
- Improved tutorial was introduced, but it is still required for new players, NO EXCEPTIONS. Press F12 and go to career agents (not opportunities). Just do it.
- New Map makes it harder to do some things, easier to do others. New Scanning map too for probes. ( No more use for Deep Space Probes )
- 50 skills in the skill queue. Unlimited in time. No more logging in. And inject skills you don’t meet prereqs for!
- Mobile tractor units, mobile depots allow refitting, mobile cyno inhibitors, they went nuts with new structures.
- Import/export ships into in-game fitting window from EFT/PYFA. Even less need to login.
- Install clones anywhere you can dock. Including high sec, no faction standings needed.
- No more clone grades, losing a non-implanted clone costs you zip. 100k to install home clones or jump clones though.
- You cannot death clone to get around anymore. You have to physically be present to set your clone system. Once per year, you can remotely set it to one of your corp’s offices, so don’t waste it. You can set your clone to your ‘newbie’ system at any time.
- Crimewatch was greatly simplified, and hence low sec got less laggy. You are either suspect or you are not suspect, making it easy to decide to shoot someone! Note, you must adjust your green, yellow, or red security thing to shoot someone in low or high sec.
- To change your home station don’t bother using cloning services, right click the station name and select set home station.
- Warp speeds were adjusted across the board. Bigger you are, slower you warp (and drop out of warp). Warp speed rigs are unironically A Thing. There are even low modules that speed up your warp! Be sure to check out warp speed implants, too: they’re pretty cheap and offer a substantial speed boost.
- Interceptors can warp through bubbles, warp faster, and basically unkillable if you align faster than 2 seconds. Except for disco BS.
- Time dilation is a feature that makes the game go into “bullet time”--down to 10% normal speed--to allow the servers to keep up. It works pretty well.
- You can pay for the game with in game currency, which is currently at 1.3 bil per 30 days, as of April Fools Day 2016, no joke. These are called Plex.
- And if you don't know about plex, you're too far behind, sorry. If you are part of goons, feel free to join little_bees, the new help channel we use. They will help you with everything. If you’re not goons, you can join Karmafleet or Ascendance pretty darn easily and come have content brought to your doorstep. Goonwaffe members still get 200% reimbursement for losses up to a billion isk, though Karmafleet still gets 100%.
This was written with the help of Elysium, the new GSF open channel we all hang out in. and even Mittens and Sion login and talk there. It’s a pretty good channel, even though Xenuria and Batuka will both aspy you to death. (The former is unironically in GSF these days. Hell hath indeed frozen over, but given you just resubbed into this terrible game you already knew that. Preencleve is still out, at least.) People who assisted were: Querns, bootmanj, PenguinBacon, Absolutis, Onyx the Fortuitous, Tunesmith X, Rhea Bloodspike, Nirnaeth Ornoediad, Mara Tessidar, Chiimera, Draugen Liulfr, Logical Fallacy
- Editor’s Note: The above is a submission from Kismeteer from Goonwaffe, a know-it-all logistics pilot that has been playing Eve for almost 10 years. He will talk you to death about things he knows nothing about if you let him. He used to fly with a group known for large scale combat, which had been reduced to only small gang combat due to lack of interest from the rest of Eve in fighting 100+ Macherials. Even if that is the norm now.
This article was originally posted on themittani.com now mirrored here so it can be viewed and updated.